Limited availability of materials, long procurement times and rising costs are now a fact of life – we all have to find intelligent ways to minimise the impact they have on our business.
The double whammy of Brexit and Covid caught people out – and understandably so – but a third more predictable element is leading to meaningful permanent change. Sustainability now affects decision-making at every stage of engineering and construction planning, as we strive to reduce carbon emissions and work towards a net-zero-carbon economy.
It is more critical than ever that the construction process is optimised from start to finish. That means:
- Minimising resource consumption
- Maximising resource reuse and radically reducing waste
- Protecting the environment locally, nationally and globally.
What does optimised design mean for you?
The good news is that these changes, if handled the right way, can bring benefits to your business. Strategic optimisation can:
- Cut down the total cost of construction materials
- Reduce labour costs
- Simplify construction methods
- Help you plan for a low-carbon future in line with government targets.
How can IDH help you?
Independent Design House is built on expertise: we know how to deliver construction and engineering projects safely, efficiently and on budget. If you choose our Design Optimisation Checking Service, we will analyse, assess and enhance project planning on your behalf. As part of this service we:
- Evaluate your existing design. We can work on isolated areas or the entire project to identify potential savings on materials, reduce waste, cut down re-bar content and optimise connections throughout the procurement and construction phases.
- Ensure constructability. Health and safety is paramount. We work to eliminate all potential risks and hazards, ensuring all of your equipment is erected safely.
- Guarantee full environmental compliance. We provide a 360-degree assessment of the environmental impact of your project and set out a proactive sustainability strategy to make your construction project as green as possible.
How IDH’s Design Optimisation Checking Service has helped businesses
Project: Yatton Hall in Somerset is a great example of design optimisation having a positive impact on a specific area of a reconstruction project.
Challenge: An existing concrete slab at Yatton Hall was to have holes bored in it to enable temporary foundations to be installed. We were asked to provide an optimised solution for reinstating the slab.
Results: Our evaluation led to a 33% reduction in the amount of reinforcement bar that needed to be resin fixed. The embedment depth was also reduced. Overall, our solution cut the total drilling length by 55%, leading to substantial savings for our client.
Please feel free to contact Anthony Kenmare on email@example.com or call our offices for more information.
Read more about what IDH offers, including our Comprehensive Scaffold Inspection Service.