- Site Meetings, Inspections and Surveys
- Detailed Design Drawings and Calculations
- 3D Design with Automated Equipment Scheduling
- Feature Finishes
- Backpropping Analysis
- Falsework Design
- Material Scheduling and Quantities
- Phasing and Early Striking Time Analysis
- Concrete Pressure and Allowable Rate of Rise Calculation
- Core Stability Analysis
- Screen Design
Get in touch to discuss your design requirements.
Formwork design utilises elements of mechanical and structural engineering principles and requires the necessary engineering expertise to carry out the required calculation, specify the materials and provide the dimensions of the formwork to enable the required accuracy of the design, taking into account the requirements of varying temperature, dead load and vibration of the wet concrete.
This requires that formwork is designed by experienced designers who understand the importance of formwork stability, strength (as related to hydraulic pressure), strength of materials used, resistance to damage and engineering calculation to achieve the optimum balance between strength, weight and costs, while ensuring repeatability of use.
There is a wealth of information available about formwork and falsework design. However, not all of this ‘information’ should be relied upon to plan a concrete formwork design, because there are important legal regulations that govern the formwork design process. These regulations are normally contained within an approved official ‘standard’ which, in the UK, is BS5975:2019 (published by the BSI).
We work to the latest codes of practice including British Standards and Eurocodes, as well as industry guidance, and are committed to designing out risk wherever possible.
There are several types of formwork design:
- Timber Construction: usually of simple shape utilising readily available sections of timber. There are safe load tables available for timber sections, so design is simple by utilising the loading recommendations available.
- Bespoke Construction: This type of design is usually reserved for difficult concrete shapes and timber or steel may be used in the form fabrication. This makes the design and fabrication of the form expensive, requiring specialist fabricators to manufacture. We can provide our expertise in complex formwork design solutions including concrete and steel formwork design.
- Standard System Formwork: This is available from many international suppliers: Doka, PERI, Hunnebeck, RMDKwikform, Faresin, LEDA, ACROW, to name a few. The systems are all very similar with the differences being in the accessories (brackets, walkways, connection components, etc.)
- Other types of Formwork: There are also various other materials in use by specialist suppliers of formwork. These may be for column, wall or slab construction and may be reinforced paper (for circular columns, aluminium (for panel systems), Polypropylene (for panel systems) and glass fibre.
IDH is the largest Independent Temporary Works design company in the UK and as a market-leading Temporary Works design practice, we have also developed our own 3D software utilised in Tekla (BIM compatible) for formwork (not Doka / Peri software). We also undertake all other forms of Temporary Works design including scaffold and access, as well as design and detailing of Structural Steel and Connections as well as Reinforcement Detailing.
Independent Design House
Studio 2, Westree House, 2 Westree Road
Kent, ME16 8HB
Independent Design House
The Steelworks, Unit 7
Netham View Industrial Park, Netham Road
Bristol, BS5 9PQ
A82 FW02, Ireland